May 10, 2008

Nate

Hi, I'm Nate, I'm a 3rd year PhD student in Modern Japanese Lit. at Columbia. My research deals with Marxist and Avant-garde literature in Japan from the 1920s - 1950s, specifically through the lenses of technology, sensation, and mediation. To that effect, in terms of my research, I'm interested in how Marx formulates and develops his theories of the objective and material worlds, as well as his discussions of the perceptual changes that accompany urbanization and industrialization. I've read chunks (you can probably guess which ones) of Vol. 1 here and there, as well as a few other selected works (again, probably the ones you'd guess), and in a more general sense, the more I read of Marx's own writing, the more I'm impressed with the relevance of his critique of capitalism for assessing our own present moment. As an undergrad, I had a brief but frightening brush with neo-classical and neoliberal economic theory, international capital development, and the like, which is perhaps part of the reason why I'm so excited about a more systematic engagement with a text such as Capital.

No comments: